Follow by Email

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

With This Ring I Thee Wed

Mine is likely gone forever!! It was lost on the first morning of our recent camping trip. The kids and I rose up early in the morning to play in the water and on the way back my wedding ring of over 24 years had gone missing. It was at the bottom of the lake somewhere and with the currents and all who knows where????? Where O where has my little ring gone, where O where could it be. I only have a general idea but it was really no help to find it. I told the park ranger if per chance someone finds the ring and if per chance they turn it in would you please send it to this address. What's the chances of that happening???? 1 in 1,000,000,000 to the 20th power, well maybe not that bad but pretty unlikely.

Now I am in a dilemma. I should not bemoan the loss of temporal goods. Yes, I know but there is more here than temporal value, so I bemoan its loss and probably always will. This ring has been my constant companion for over 24 years going on 25 years of married life. I did not take it off except on occasion when I was working on the car or something like that. Otherwise it did not come off.

Now granted if I had to choose between losing my ring of 24 years and my wife of 24 years I would hands down choose the ring. Problem is I don't want to lose either one. The ring reminds me of the wife. It tells everyone else I am connected, what it does not tell them is how strongly I'm connected, that is unless they looked at the ring closely then they might be able to tell. It was not perfectly round, in fact on one occasion it had gotten so thin on the back that it broke and I had to have it repaired. It was a simple golden band that originally had a simple design etched into the top, it had worn away. Why had it worn away, because I am connected till death do you part.

Are men supposed to cry when they lose a ring???? I haven't but I have wanted to!! I know I shouldn't bemoan its loss, it is an opportunity to get a brand new one. I probably will, but the problem is I don't want a brand new one, I want the old valued one. I will be 67 when another ring means to me what this one did. Well, in fact another ring can never mean to me what this one did.

Why you ask could a new ring never mean as much?? Well because that ring had seen things that a new one probably never will. That old ring laying at the bottom of the lake has seen the birth of six children and three grandchildren. It has seen apartment dwelling and travel trailer living. It has seen financial straits and amazing provision. It has seen a relationship that has matured into one that would be the envy of the world if the world only knew about it. It has seen years of sacrifice by a precious wife. It has held and nurtured six children. It has wielded a rod to correct six children. It has embraced the sorrows of six children. It has set two children free. It has seen every page of the Bible, several Bibles. It has been on the hand that has proclaimed the Word of God faithfully for 16 years to a small congregation of special people. It was on the hand that extracted the proverbial knife in the back on several occasions.

On and on I could go. This was no ordinary ring. It was not from the beginning. It was from my love, the young lady to whom I was committing the rest of my life. And since that time it has only become more special. It is now laying at the bottom of Lake Mineral Wells.

This is a ring that I was anxious to pass on to one of my children with a lengthy note about its significance. Instead the ring has been committed to the sand.

I am sure at some point I will get another one but it will be hard to put it on. I don't think I will ever be able to look at it without thinking of the one that is laying at the bottom of the lake.

Then again, maybe in some respect it is appropriate. Here we are, my wife and I, at the zenith of our long life together. Almost 25 years behind us and hopefully about 25 more to go. We have been riding the crest for 25 years now. Life is full and we are beginning to see the fruit of our relationship. Now we begin the long, slow descent. The wave subsides. Our children assume their place in the world. Our grandchildren will be born and grow to maturity. Age and fatigue will begin to take its toll in just a few more years. Life will slow and responsibilities will be transitioned to others more youthful and vigorous. An old man and old woman will hold hands walking into the the sunset and winter of life. Not bemoaning the lateness of the hour but rejoicing in the splendor of the sunset and the sharpness of the cold. They will walk hand in hand rejoicing in the good life they have had and on the hand of the man will be a ring that is only about 25 years old, but it brings to mind a ring that is buried in the sands of a west Texas lake.

Take good care of that ring dear lake, for it is a treasure that few can appreciate and it has been committed to your watchful care!
Post a Comment