Follow by Email

Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Literacy Problem

My wife recently brought home a book from one of her bargain hunting expeditions entitled, Speaking of Books. It is a book about books. The subtitle is The Best Things Ever Said About Books And Book Collecting. It is mainly a book of quotes about books. It is edited by Rob Kaplan and Harold Rabinowitz. It is one of those book that for me is just fun to read. It is interesting to see what others have said about books.

I attempted to confiscate this book and keep it all to myself, but my dear wife insisted on it being placed in the front room where others could examine it at leisure. I acquiesced. If it comes up missing some day I do not know what happened to it, and don't go snooping around in my study!

I really enjoyed the chapter on loaning and borrowing books. I laughed out loud at some of the quotes. I will be sharing some of my favorites in the near future.

For now I want to share one quote that really caught my attention. I ran across it last night before church as I was perusing the introduction. It set forth a problem of illiteracy that is rarely if ever consider.

"The literacy problem isn't just that there are too many people who don't know how to read, the problem is that there are too many people without the requisite patience to endure an entire book!"

Too true and too bad!
Post a Comment