Follow by Email

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Sunk Deep In The Mire

The following is from the life and letters of John Angell James. I have separated the sentences of this short portion so we could have the luxury of reflecting on each statement! I unfortunately fine myself in agreement with this assessment. I wish it were not so, but I am afraid it is. In fact it is more true of me than I generally care to think, but surely that would be a good place to start. How about you??



Most professing Christians are sunk deep in the mire of worldly-mindedness.

Mammon is the wicked and shameful idol of the church.

Our churches are, in my opinion, far from a state of sound healthy piety.

We have but little of what constitutes the essence of experimental religion.

Everything is superficial.

Our repentance, our faith, our love, our devotional habits--are all superficial!

The world has . . .
engrossed men's minds,
absorbed their feelings,
starved their piety.
Post a Comment