Follow by Email

Friday, January 04, 2008

OK I'll Say It!

I don't like Mike Huckabee and I will not vote for him for President!

Yes, I know he is a Southern Baptist Preacher, but that does not necessarily hold any water in my bucket.

My gut feeling tells me he is a fake.

His unscrupulous release of a negative ad while claiming he was not going to go negative was as transparent as glass. One of two things, it seems to me, must be true about that event. 1. He was conniving, hypocritical, and disingenuous or, 2. He was completely naive about how the press corps following him would treat the ad. In either case it tells me he would not make a good President.

He seems to be a fine orater with lots of flash and no substance. He reminds me way too much of John Edwards on the Democrats side.

Recent experience with Governors from small southern states have left a bad taste in my mouth (Carter and Clinton, who by the way were both Southern Baptist).

You say what about George Bush? I said "small" southern states!

And.....while I am at it? What is so wrong with negative campaigning!

We learn things about candidates we would not know unless someone points them out. I want their records or lack thereof scrutinized from top to bottom. I want their private lives examined if it involves a lack of integrity. Let me have it all the good, the bad, and the ugly. I can handle it.

These people are running for the office of the President of the United States. Do they think if they are elected that people are not going to take "shots" at them? Do they think everyone is going to deal with their records honestly? Do they think people will not question their motives and judgment? Do they think once elected no one will have anything negative to say about them? I say if they can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. If they can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. I want to know how they handle negativity because we all know that comes with the job. What better way to see how they deal with it than to loose the unreasonable restraints on telling unpleasant things about your political opponent. I say, let the fur fly!

By the way negative campaigning is not a recent innovation. For those who think so, they are simply revealing how unread they are in the political history of our country. Political battles have often been attended with much rancor and bitterness. In fact today is mild compared to what has often been in the past.

Read about the Presidential election between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson after Adams' first (and only) term. These two who had been friends for years did not speak or correspond for years as a result of that election cycle. Only toward the end of their long and illustrious lives did they find themselves reconciled.

As an interesting bit of trivia both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams died on July 4th, the fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. In fact when John Adams was dying he said, "Thomas Jefferson survives." Not knowing that Jefferson had died five and a half hours earlier. Adams was in Massachusetts and Jefferson was in Virginia.
Post a Comment