Follow by Email

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Real Source Of Discontent

"The real cause of our discontent is not in our circumstances; if it were, a change of circumstances might cure it. It is in ourselves, and wherever we go--we shall carry our discontent heart with us. The only cure which will affect anything--must be the curing of the fever of discontent in us." - J. R. Miller 1895

Discontent is cultivated by focusing on what we don't have.
Contentment is produced by focusing on what we do have.
Thanksgiving is promoted by focusing on the fact we deserve nothing.
Humility is present by realizing that all we have was provided by a merciful and gracious God.


There is so much I want that if I am not careful I will lose sight of all that I have. If I had all that I wanted would I then be content? I doubt it! I would simply find other things to want! "the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing."

The only words that may be as hard to say as "I'm sorry" is "it is enough".

Proverbs 30:15,16 - The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough: The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.

May the Lord continue to teach me to say, "It is enough".

Luke 3:14 - And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

Philippians 4:11 - Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

1 Timothy 6:8 - And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Hebrews 13:5 - Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Post a Comment