This was candidate Obama's promise. Change was coming and it has. Herein was the problem that I had with the message of change. How was it going to change? Things can change for the worse. Once elected I determined to give President Obama every benefit of the doubt. In spite of what I considered to be good reasons for opposing him based upon his scant record and his own words, I was willing to wait until he was President and making decisions.
Well just a few weeks into his Presidency he has been making decisions. And if his decisions are, as I suspect, a foretaste of things to come, it is change I can do without.
1. He has reversed the executive order banning federal funding for organizations overseas that provide abortion counseling and services.
2. He has signed an executive order to close Gitmo. I have to hand it to him for keeping his campaign promise, for he promised to do this and the American people voted for it. But it is a bad idea. We have yet to be told what is going to be done with these terrorist who would kill all of us given the chance. I am amazed at those who want them to have Constitutional protections. People, these are not American citizens. The Constitution is for Americans, not the whole world and certainly not for our enemies. I keep a copy of the Constitution on my desk. The preamble opens with the words,
"We the People of the United States, . . . ." and ends with the words, "do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
The people of the United States ratified a Constitution for the United States of America, not for 21st century foreign terrorist!
3. We have a Secretary of the Treasurer who failed to pay his taxes until he was considered for the cabinet position.
4. We have nominated for the Secretary of Health and Human Services a man who failed to pay his taxes until he was considered for the cabinet position. (I just saw where Mr. Daschle withdraws his nomination to be the Secretary of Health and Human Services. He can now go back to not paying his taxes.)
5. We have a Secretary of State whose husband is going to be allowed to continue to receive donations from foreign countries.
6. We have an Attorney General who, if I understand correctly, while serving in the Clinton administration lobbied for and secured a pardon for the man who was number two on the FBI's most wanted list. I just read an article today concerning his confirmation where the following was said,
"Holder promised one senator that he would re-examine a ruling by former Attorney General Michael Mukasey that immigrants facing deportation do not have a right to government-provided lawyers. Holder said he understands the desire to expedite immigration court proceedings, but added that the Constitution also requires that proceedings be fair."
Fair for who? The whole world, people that violate our laws to come here, foreigners who want to kill us."
I am sure President Obama is "banking" on the fact that the American people have lost the ability to be truly outraged.
All of this and we have not even touched on the Government's rendition of Who Wants To Be A Billionaire, more commonly known as a stimulus package. Let me just say this, the remedy is simple. Let people and companies, large and small keep more of their money. Strip away all of the overbearing regulation. And.........watch the economy take off! Obama and most of the rest of the politicians are saying government has to do something. We are in this shape because of what government has been doing. Our present difficulty is not the result of free market economics but of government intervention in free markets, ie . . . the mortgage meltdown that has effected the credit markets.
People have a short memory. It was just last Spring and early Summer when the government sent most of us a check and that was suppose to kick start the economy. Didn't work! Now they are attempting to spend what is it, $840,000,000,000.00. If they were to take that money and divide it among our approximately 300,000,000 citizens every man, woman, boy, and girl would get a check for $2,800.00. That means that $16,800.00 would be sent to my home. But instead this is the debt with which we will be saddled. Remember folks, the government does not have any money. Everything it spends it has to take from you and me!
Not enjoying the change!