Follow by Email

Monday, February 16, 2009

Illinois Style Gun Control


This past Saturday I read this article in our local paper. I wish the Illinois Representative would not try to impose Illinois/Chicago style gun restrictions on the rest of the country.

This is not a difficult issue: A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

There has already been a great deal of infringement and we do not need any more. Enforce the laws on the books.

Mr. Broadus, a former Lake Jackson police officer, who now teaches a concealed handgun class said, "The bill would ensure those who don’t need to have a gun won’t be able to buy one." Now I don't mean any disrespect to Mr. Broadus. I have spoken to him on the phone and attended his class (though taught by another Lake Jackson police officer) for a concealed handgun license. When I spoke to him he was very helpful and encouraging in relation to my interest to apply for a CHL. I enjoyed the class and learned a lot. But I must respectfully disagree with him on this point. That is like saying a statute against murder will ensure that no one will kill anyone unless duly authorized to do so. Laws do not ensure compliance. There are plenty of laws on the books that are designed to keep guns out of the hands of bad people. Yet, bad people still end up with guns, and probably always will. So effectively all these laws do is discourage or keep good people from arming themselves for personal protection.

Which is also why I do not understand laws prohibiting the carrying of weapons, particularly those licensed to do so, into certain places. For example a school. Is a person who had decided to go to a school to shoot people going to get to the door and see a sign that says this is a gun free zone and go back and trade his gun for a spit ball. I doubt it! No he has actually had a place prepared for him by legislation where he can go create chaos, mayhem, death, and injury until law enforcement arrive. To be quite honest the places I feel most unsafe are the places where people are forbidden to carry guns and if I or any of my family is ever attacked in a place where I have been disarmed by my own government I will be none-to-happy, I will consider them to have been an accomplice in murder.

Texas is not Illinois! I can only hope that Mr. Rush's bill fails to even make it out of committee, but with Democrats in charge we will probably have to guard our guns.


Post a Comment