Follow by Email

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Jesus Marvelled

Luke 7:9 - When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, . . . .

I consider myself on safe ground when I say if Jesus marvelled then of necessity God marvelled!

Marvelled is a word that involves admiration, to admire.  If God admires something it should probably be of interest to us what it is.  It was admired to the point of marvelling.  Just from my own persepctive I find myself marvelling at that which I do not expect.  The unexpected causes me to marvel.  I think Jesus came across something here that he didn't quite expect and he marvelled at it, admired it.

What was it?

We find the statement in the narrative of the Centurion who had a servant that was dear unto him and was about to die.  The Centurion sent messengers to beseech Jesus to come and heal his servant.  Jesus, as was his custom, went with the men toward the Centurion's home.  Before Jesus could get all the way to the man's house he sent other messengers to inform Jesus that he was not worthy that he should come to his house and that he did not even deem his presence necessary.  He believe all Jesus needed to do was speak the word and his servant would be healed.

The bible says when Jesus heard these things, "he (Jesus) marvelled at him (Centurion), and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel."

At what does God marvel, what does he admire.  Faith!  He admires those who believe that he is and the rewarder of them that diligently seek him.  In fact we are told in Hebrews 11, "without faith it is impossible to please him".  I suppose from the account before us we can likewise conclude that with faith it is possible for us to become the object of God's marvelling.

And of course the Centurion's faith was rewarded!  "And they that were sent, returning to the house, found the servant whole that had been sick."

The Centurion marvelled at the power of Christ.  Christ marvelled at the Centurion's faith.  This is the kind of mutual marvelling I would love to enjoy in my own life.

"Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."
Post a Comment