Follow by Email

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Making The Most Of Every Day


While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Genesis 8:22



Thou hast set all the borders of the earth: thou hast made summer and winter.
Psalms 74:17


I have weather alerts sent to my blackberry.  For over a week now I have been getting advisories warning that the heat index would be registering between 106 and 112.  They usually last till about eight PM.  Today I received a heat advisory that is in effect till nine PM tomorrow evening.  They obviously are not anticipating much of a cool down during the night, not that uncommon at this time of year.

I found myself looking at the average mean temperatures and noted that they begin to creep down at the end of this month and drop several degrees in October.  I am tempted to long for the end of Summer and cooler weather.  How can this be?  It was just a few months ago I was longing for warmer weather.  Do I really want the Summer to end?  Do I ever really want the warmer weather to blow off the Gulf and bring an end to the cooler temperatures of Winter and Spring?

I suppose I am simply wanting to be comfortable.  Whether I am sitting in my home, my car, walking between the two, mowing the grass, driving a school bus, sitting in church, or whatever.  Do I really want the Summer to end, to be over??  Once it is over it will be gone forever.  This is a Summer that will never be replayed.  When it is over I will have one less Summer than I did just a few months ago when I was longing for warmer weather. 

Is my comfort so important that I would desire to expedite a Summer or Winter that leaves me with one less?  Should not I rather relish the searing heat of summer and the cold winds of winter?  Why is it so hard to praise God for the days when the sun shines in its strength in a noon day sky, or the days when the wind howls it arrival and sends me scurrying for a coat?  Will I not learn, before it is too late, to appreciate the hot days and the cold days in their proper season?

While I am wiping the profuse sweat from my brow and soaking my pants, shirt, and hat can I not worship the God who set the heavens as a "tabernacle for the sun, which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.  His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof."

When I step out into the dark, cold wind of winter having bundled myself against its frigid blast can I not rejoice in the one of whom it is said, "He casteth forth his ice like morsels: who can stand before his cold?"

O, Lord, this Summer is almost over, help me to number my days, the hot and the cold ones that I might apply my heart unto wisdom and rejoice in thee.  Help me Lord to be thankful for another hot day to love you and serve you.  And when the time comes help my heart to be warmed in thinking of a God before whose cold I cannot stand.  And Lord, last of all, help me to remember that a hot day or a cold day is better than no day at all!
Post a Comment