Follow by Email

Friday, November 05, 2010

Four Decades Of Knowing Him!

2 Timothy 3:15 - And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.


It was forty years ago today that God reached down in grace and touched the heart of a seven year old boy.  That seven year old boy was me.  I had the opportunity recently to take my mentor in the ministry to the very place where I got on my knees with a Baptist preacher, a King James Bible, and the Holy Spirit of God.  I went to my knees a condemned sinner I stood up a justified saint.  It seems like it was yesterday.  That building is no longer occupied by a Baptist church but I know the spot even though there has been some slight remodeling over the years.  I remember the burden of sin and judgment pressing upon me and the relief in realizing what Jesus had done for me.  Little did I realize that day what a great Saviour I had just recieved.  Oh, don't misunderstand he seemed great that day, but he has become greater in my estimation over the four decades that I have been privledged to know him and learn of him.
 
I still remember the burden and fear being carried away by the blood that washed my soul that evening.  There has not been a day since that day that he has not been real to me and though I have often been unfaithful to him I have found him to be ever faithful to me.
 
I was blessed to have been raised in a home where we were taught the Bible is the word of God.  Our parents took us to church, they did not send us.  We memorized verses and sang the "children's" songs.  We said the "children's" prayers.  All of this allowed me the opportunity to come to know him at an early age.  "That from a child I had known the holy Scriptures"  I will be eternally grateful that they were able to make me wise unto salvation.
 
I praise God that I came to know him when I did.  It has made all the difference in my life.  I have been able to spend a life time getting to know him and see him work in my life.  I have been able to live almost my entire life with an eye to eternity.  When I trusted him that night I never dreamed that he would stir my heart to preach His truth.  But a mere seven years later at the age of fourteen the Spirit of God was stirring my heart again for ministry, a call by God to preach his word.  I said yes, and have never looked back.  It has been the greatest life a person could be privledged to live and it all started forty years ago today.
 
When I have sinned I have known his displeasure.
When I have confessed I have know his restoration.
When I have erred I have known his correction.
When I have been tested I have known his strength.
When I have been disappointed I have known his encouragment.
When I have been faithful I have known his blessings.
When I have been courageous I have known his support.
When I have been fearful I have known his comfort.
 
I have found him to be everything I could ever need.  I have never found him to be wanting.  I have never discovered him to be unfaithful.  I have found him completely trustworthy.  I have found his wisdom to be true.  I have found his presence to be real.
 
Now, here I am forty years later, rejoicing in him and finding that my meditation of him is always sweet and getting sweeter every day.  I have found comfort in realzing I only need to worry that he is pleased with me.  I have focus in only needing to worry that I please him.
 
"Thank you Lord for saving my soul.
Thank you Lord for making me whole.
Thank you Lord for giving to me thy great salvation so rich and free!"
Post a Comment